If you don’t have an official set of flag football belts, does that mean you’re blocked from playing? In official league play, perhaps, but not in your own backyard. Here are a few interesting replacements for belts and flags to get your game started. For each of these options, just tuck them into your belt. Don’t tie them around your waistthat’s a recipe for injury (and besides, it’s cheating).
- Socks: Simply slip one or two long dress socks in your shorts to perfectly replicate a flag belt. For best results, use socks you’re not planning on wearing to your next job interview.
- Toilet paper: To make a really difficult game, use strips of toilet paper. Unlike some of the more resistant flag belts, one grasp at these sheets will send you out of the game.
- Ties: Make your flag a fashion statement by choosing a trendy tie to tuck into your shorts. Whether it’s adorned with cartoon characters or a tasteful cross-stitch pattern, your opponents will be sure to admire it as they race towards you.
- Ribbons: This is also a way to make the game more difficultthis time for the defense. Use ribbons that aren’t too long so they won’t tangle around your feet. Watch as your opponents try to grasp at them, but be ready to make some quick snatches when you switch to defense.
With Christmas in the air, it’s the perfect time to give the athlete in your life a new flag football set. There are plenty of options out there, but which ones are the best? Use our handy gift guide to find the perfect last-minute gift.
- SKLZ 10 Man Flag Football Deluxe Set: This set comes with 2 5-person sets of nylon belts with D-rings and removable flags. It also includes small cones, although these have been found less than useful by purchasers, so you may need to purchase another set of cones to mark your sidelines. Everything is stored in an easy-to-transport nylon bag. Available at Amazon.com for 19.99.
- NERF Sport Flag Football Set: NERF’s kit comes with a NERF Weather Blitz football, intended for any weather conditions, and four sets of 8 flags each. The green and orange flags clip onto the included belts, while the orange and red flags are belt-free and clip easily onto your uniform. The set is designed for younger players, but older players should enjoy it as wellthey just might want to substitute their own ball. Available at Amazon.com for 21.99.
- Champion Sports Flag Football Belt and Flag Set: This basic set includes 12 one-size-fits-all belts with removable flags. These belts are probably the cheapest professional set you will find. You can add a set of 6 Champion Sports 9-Inch Colored Cones for 12.85. Available at Amazon.com for 18.95 (list price 20.10).
- Flag-a-tag Sonic Boom Flag Belt Set of 12: These pricey options include the patented “Sonic Boom,” which sounds whenever you snap one of the flags off of the belt. At Amazon.com, you can choose your favorite size and color. Each set comes with 12 belts, each of which have 2 removable belts. Available at Amazon.com for 47.74-83.99 (depending on size).